Wednesday 28 November 2012

Getting back to life

On Monday morning my mum lost her fight with Cancer. We knew that this day was coming, but it didn't make it any easier. She was my biggest supporter for most of my life, surpassed only by my husband, and only then on my wedding day. 

I took a few days off work and have been puttering around the house for 3 days. On Monday, hubby stayed home from work with me and took care of me. My parents live a 5 hour plane ride away, and when my stepdad called with the news I immediately told him that I would be there on the next plane. His response was that it wasn't needed. My family isn't religious, and my mum didn't want a service. She wanted to be cremated and her ashes spread on her Uncle's farm. My step dad also told me that he hadn't called me in the days leading up to her passing as per her wishes. This is not what I wanted. I wanted to be there, with my parents when my mum took her last breath, but, while I may not like her wishes, they were HER wishes, and I have to respect that. 

After my few days off, I am looking forward to getting back to work, and to life. I love my mum, and I will miss her every single day of the rest of my life, however, I know that she would not want me to dwell and mope and be continuously sad. 

So I am getting back to life. And you can be sure that I will have some more awesome stories to share about working in the ER and the other centres I work at!

1 comment:

  1. this just broke my heart. While they were her wishes, funerals are for the living. Do something for you, in honour of your mum.

    Sending you all my love. xx

    ReplyDelete